Thursday, January 12, 2006

Daniel will have to find another protege...

Hey guys.

I decided to cash in my ticket and played in the Protege Seat 1 Step 1 tournament last night. There were 127 registrants with the top 40 getting tickets to the Protege Seat 1 Step 2 tournament.

Pocket Queens were not kind to me.

The key hand that led to my downfall was me having pocket queens under the gun...so I did the traditional raise. Everyone folded except one guy who went all in. He was very short stacked (less than 10 big blinds) so I called. Unfortunately, he had pocket aces so that put me on the short stack. I eventually went out 90th on level IV when my Jc10c didn't improve against Qh9d. Didn't have much choice here as I was below 10 BB in my chipstack.

Overall, I thought I played well...didn't really get any cards and my hands just ran up against bigger hands. However, I was making some proper decisions. Here is an example from earlier in the tournament.

I was in the small blind with (surprise, surprise) pocket queens. A guy in middle position did the traditional 3X BB raise. He really hadn't been involved in much action so I had to give him credit with a big hand so I just called. The flop came A-8-8. I bet 1/3rd of the pot and he went all in. This seemed to confirm that he had aces so I just folded. Even if he only had one ace (A-K, A-Q), I was still behind and drawing nearly dead. Also, it was early in the tournament so it wasn't worth the risk. I'm glad that I had the ability to recognize it.

So how do I feel about it overall? I can live with it. It was my first larger tournament and I outlasted 1/4 of the field. I can't really think of a hand where I regretted my decision based on the way the hand played out. That is the way tournaments go I guess.

I haven't really played tournaments so I may need to check out Harrington's books on the subject. Maybe I'll play the Full Contact .net tournament for one of the other Protege seats (~1900 people).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home