Monday, April 19, 2010

Where does the time go?

I admit...I've been a bit lazy with this blog as of late. However, I do have a few things to talk about today...

First of all, I recently completed the Take 2 promotion from Full Tilt for $25 bucks. I think my profit over the promotion was about $15 bucks so it was worth the while. Had some bad luck starting out but things turned around nicely. I'm finding playing cash games via Rush poker is having some dividends. They have since expanded Rush poker to tournaments...so this could be interesting.

They have now also introduced a steps system. I decided to try my luck on Step 0 for $1.10. This was a 99-seat super turbo with the top 30 people getting Step 1 tickets. I had a little bit of luck when I decided to push with an open-ended straight draw on the flop against top pair and hit it on the river.

Super satellites like this are a different sort of beast than regular tournaments..and it can lead to some strange decisions at times. For example, someone pushed in on me and I had pocket jacks. He had me covered plus we were only a couple of spots from the bubble and the end of the tourney. Needless to say, I folded the hand even if it was a steal but the raiser. There were some very short stacks and I was about average...no need to get involved here. Turned out to be the correct decision and I got a step 1 ticket.

From step 1 onwards, there are a lot of choices for the type of event you want to play, there are standard single-table SnGs, multi-table SNGs, turbo, super-turbo...you get the idea. After reviewing the prizes and such for each event (plus seeing what would actually be running in the time I had), I settled on an 18 person turbo SNG where the top 10 get to repeat step 1 and the top 4 get a Step 2 seat.

I just played this using my fast tourney strategy and waited for spots. I was pretty much card dead in the early stages. It is interesting watching people play this event...seems like they didn't have a clue so I thought I was in pretty good here. It quickly got to push/fold stages. Had to shove with 87o and got called with 55. Got a pair on the flop and doubled up. Had no real trouble getting to the final 9....but not without another interesting hand.

I was in pretty good shape with 11 remaining when I picked up AK. Had a guy raise to me in the BB...and I just folded. Seems a bit nitty but there was a real short stack who would be all in with the BB. I decided to just wait until we were all "in the money" as it were and just go from there.

Sure enough, the short guy soon busted and the final table was set a few hands later. My earlier nittiness was paying off as I had a pretty tight image. Now my shoves where getting respect for good hands. People where folding where, based on their stack sizes and the current pot, they could have called with pretty much everything. I don't think anyone really noticed my stack was continuing to grow. Bottom line.....final 4 finish and a Step 2 ticket is in my hands.

Not sure when I'm going to play it. I will just review the games available and make a decision. I may go with an 18-seater again but it depends on the prize payout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home