Friday, December 09, 2005

Wow......

Okay, well that sucked. Last night, while waiting to get in a 0.25/0.50 game, I sat in a 0.50/1.00 game just to get some raked hands in. I sat down with $25.00 and left with $14.50....and I only played in two hands. One hand taught me a valuable lesson to trust my instincts...

I looked down in late position with A-9. There were two limpers in front of me, I called and the big blind called. The flop came A-9-8 giving me top two pair. The big blind checked, the first limper checked, and the second player bet. I suspected an Ace but, with top two pair, I raised. The blind folded and the other two players called. The turn was another 8. First limper checked and the second limper raised. This set off warning bells in my head telling me to fold as I suspected a set or a full house but of course I called. The same thing happened with a rag on the river but the damage was done when they turned over A-8 for the full house. I learned a valuable lesson...TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!!!!!!!!

I managed to remember this when I had another situation with top two pair. I raised and was called each time to the river. The river card became a scare card when one of the other players raised with it. It made me suspect that it caused the player to have a higher second pair in his hand now. I decided to fold and was proven right when the cards were revealed. Even though I lost a "significant" bit of money, it showed that I played the hand correctly and saved a bet.

I managed to get in a 0.25/0.50 game and made a little money on that but I now sit at around $69.00 in the bankroll.

I think it is time to go back to basics with my starting hands and stop playing 0.50/1.00 as a "hand raker". ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home